Success in Google is paramount for today’s destinations. In our Destination SEO Study I examined 500 U.S. destination websites and found that on average 70% of all incoming traffic is from a search engine, primarily Google. The study also found that 61% of all destinations rely on search engines for at least 70% of their total website traffic. SEO is one of the driving factors that protect DMO’s funding and demonstrate improvement to the region’s tourism year after year.
SEO Growth Strategies for Destinations
I’ve been working as a SEO for over 10 years. I operate two destinations websites that have generated over $20,000,000 in hotel bookings becoming one of the highest converting sources of traffic for TripAdvisor, Marriott, Choice Hotels and more. I also lead all SEO efforts for the non-profit Adopt-a-Pet.com. At Adopt-a-Pet.com I was able to take search engine traffic from 300,000 visitors per month to over 4,000,000 visitors per month.
Get Destination SEO Answers in 24 Hrs
I’m offering 24/7 access to my SEO expertise through a private Slack Group. By signing up for $49.99 / month you can receive advice on any SEO issue facing your destination. Signup Now
- Get answers to SEO questions within 24hrs.
- Only destinations can access this group.
- Get a 2nd opinion on website changes and SEO impact.
- Get a 2nd opinion on SEO agency recommendations.
- Create internal clarity on nagging SEO issues.
- Get routine updates about Google changes that impact destinations.
- Learn the short-cuts and tools I use to solve SEO problems.
- Peace of mind knowing that you can access an expert if something funny is happening with search engine traffic.
Get a SEO Growth Plan for Your Destination
Tired of confusing SEO audits and lazy SEO agencies. Stop having to explain your how your organization works to outside agencies. Build an SEO Growth plan with us. To get started watch the video below and then contact us.
- Learn the 3 reasons why most SEO consultants and agencies fail to grow your destination website traffic.
- Learn how we neatly organize, prioritize, and communicate each SEO tactic available to increase your website traffic.
- Get to know how we work with destinations to create a growth plan, and how that plan is carried out.
- I only work with destinations, and operate 2 destination websites that provide for my family.
Top 25 Destinations Ranked by Monthly Search Engine Traffic
We ranked over 500 U.S. destinations by total search engine traffic. The estimates are generally conservative for each website and should be used as trending data. The estimates reflect traffic totals for the month of May when tourism interest is high around the U.S. Below are the top 25 destinations in the U.S. for search engine performance.
Access the Full Study
- Examine the top 100 keywords that generate the most traffic for the leading 75 destinations.
- Examine the top 100 pages that generate the most search engine traffic for the leading 75 destinations.
- See search engine performance rankings for all 500 destinations.
|Rank||Destination Organization||State||Website||Est. Total Search Engine Traffic for May 2018||Est. Percentage of Total Traffic that is Organic||Est. Cost Per Click Value of Total Organic Traffic|
|2||Destination DC||District of Columbia||https://washington.org/||900,269||84%||$1,300,000|
|3||NYC & Company||New York||http://nycgo.com||861,364||73%||$,1300,000|
|4||Travel Michigan, MI Economic Development Corp.||Michigan||http://www.michigan.org||620,339||74%||$521,000|
|7||Wisconsin Department of Tourism||Wisconsin||http://www.travelwisconsin.com||472,967||66%||$374,000|
|8||Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board||California||http://www.discoverlosangeles.com||469,651||7%||$718,000|
|10||San Diego Tourism Authority||California||http://www.sandiego.org||448,047||81%||$731,000|
|12||Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau||Hawaii||https://www.gohawaii.com/||425,159||78%||$711,000|
|13||Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau||Georgia||http://www.atlanta.net||385,385||81%||$565,000|
|14||San Francisco Travel Association||California||http://www.sftravel.com/||380,000||78%||$594,000|
|16||Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau||Florida||http://www.MiamiAndBeaches.com||306,880||78%||4383,000|
|17||Houston First Corporation||Texas||https://www.visithoustontexas.com/||298,000||81%||$480,000|
|18||Explore Minnesota Tourism||Minnesota||http://www.exploreminnesota.com||284,209||67%||$244,000|
|19||Nashville Convention & Visitors Corporation||Tennessee||http://www.visitmusiccity.com||270,554||77%||$332,000|
|22||Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau||Pennsylvania||http://www.poconomountains.com||247,829||64%||$285,,000|
|24||Gatlinburg Convention and Visitors Bureau||Tennessee||https://www.gatlinburg.com/||233,000||74%||$299,000|
|25||New Orleans Metropolitan Convention & Visitors Bureau Incorporated||Louisiana||https://www.neworleans.com/||231,000||61%||$314,000|